WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Challenge #2 Cleaning the Washing Machine

We've just finished tea, I'm sitting down now...and planning more and researching more on improving on my housework journey.....

This afternoon Rhonda over at the Down to Earth Forum...started a post called the Small things Challenge....
Such good timing Rhonda.....I wrote the following comment on the forum.....

I'm in, I actually posted a beginning of a series of Challenges on my blog today....I plan to tackle a problem area in my home each week...sometimes two challenges, depending on the challenge....

I started with the oven the other day after everyone chatting about their ovens....now today I have tackled the Washing Machine........I have also printed out the dte journals to go through.....I am thinking now that I have the bathroom done...the washing machine and the oven....if I add challenges to my daily tasks; then work out a weekly schedule....I should be able to improve in my household chores...and maybe improve the state of my house.....

So each day now; I tidy up what I need to to be back to equal with the cleaning, then I am adding another cleaning or working job to the day...be it cooking, cleaning, gardening or whatever....before starting on something new...I am trying to get what is SUPPOSED to be clean already....done......

It didn't quite work that way today...as the kitchen is messy, but that's ok...I am taking it as a learning curve...I know that I didn't get it done and I know there will be days like today....because that's life..............I just really wanted to tackle the really yucky washing machine....

For my weekly tasks....if I clean up the Washing machine on a Wednesday...w for w.....that sounds good....but I wash two big loads of work clothes on Thursday night and friday morning....so I guess after the last load of work clothes on a Friday would be the best time to wipe over the washing machine...I am thinking if I do this chore weekly...it shouldn't get as bad as it was today.....
I also do a lot of baking in the oven....so I am setting myself a challenge to clean the oven if I have a spill...

I can see spots that still need a clean on the bathroom, washing machine and the oven...and I will get to those spots in the next few days....but I need to focus back on the kitchen again now.....to get all the things that are supposed to be clean; CLEAN.......
then I will focus on a new challenge...maybe cleaning the ceiling fans, or the fridge, ....or something else...who knows.....




I think it will be the fridge, but we will have to wait until I post another challenge.....


Over the course of the day, while on and off cleaning the washing machine....I took some photos.....some I really don't care to share, but I will for the sake of the challenge.....


Your washing machine may be cleaner than this, and that's great, but if it is as dirty as mine was...well I know what you have ahead of you....


The cleaners I used for this was a 5L bucket of warm water with a tablespoon of my home-made washing powder and a tablespoon of ammonia added to the water....


I first sprayed the machine with my citrus-cleaner, then hung the last load of washing on the line outside, allowing the citrus to do its work.  


After coming inside I then rung out a cleaning rag (made from an old towel) in the bucket and got to work..........


Yuck! this one will need the
bottle-brush on the inside.
 Some tools you will find handy are cotton buds, a bottle brush, and maybe a wooden skewer to gently clean some edges that don't work with a cotton bud. After cleaning a section and rinsing your cloth as you go....dry it before you move on to another.
If you have a hard greasy spot and you feel you need a scrubber...sprinkle a little baking soda on your cloth as that is not as harsh as some scrubbers can be.
Cotton buds are great for nooks and cranny's..

More Yuck!

Ta Dahhhhhhhh




This is a huge improvement....I really want to keep it clean now....I will certainly get back to the bits I have missed...but tomorrow I am working in the kitchen....


I've just set myself another challenge with this...I usually leave the power on to the machine....now I am turning it off at the wall when it's not being used....so a power saving challenge has just been started too.....this also includes my dishwasher....
I can reach the switches for both of these...so it shouldn't be a hard challenge....


If your following along, I hope you get your washing machine clean soon...It feels great!

4 comments:

  1. Your machine looks like brand new nellymary, well done!

    I am going to make some of your citrus cleaner very soon, sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narelle you'll be amazed what a difference it makes to your washing, your machine's longevity and how you feel about the washing! I've got to work out what to clean on my relatively new front loader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tania, it is so simple to make the citrus cleaner, especially if you use lots of citrus....I will even be adding lime to mine over the weekend.
    Rose, it was a learning curve for me too, I kept finding more nooks and crannies, so good luck with your front loader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your machine looks a lot easier to clean then mine is turning out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...